Friday, August 26, 2011

Tahini is not a spice!

We have become a Hummus family. We like it for a snack with carrots, pita chips, or celery. We even use as a spread on deli sandwiches, instead of Mayo and Mustard.


Hummus can be expensive so I decided I was going to make it. I picked this recipe for my first try. One of the ingredients is Tahini. I could not find this any were. I went to store after store looking in the spice row. A few weeks went by and I revisited the grocery stores in case they were just out before. No luck.


Well today I finally asked. Tahini is not a spice! Its ground sesame seeds in a paste/liquid form.


So I was finally able to make Hummus!


This was a good recipe, however next time I will use less salt, drain all of the liquid from the garbanzo beans and use 1/2 of the olive oil. Or I may try a different recipe all together.
Either way Hummus is super easy to make, as long as you can find the correct ingredients.

Even Colton loves it !









Tahini!

1 comment:

Kandice Breinholt said...

see, i've tried hummus because the way everyone is so devoted to it makes it sound like the best thing on earth.

...but i didn't like it. granted, it was a health-nut's homeade version so maybe that was why (i'd be willing to give in another try) but, yeah, one of those things i wish i liked. haha

cool that you made your own and that your son loves it :)

thanks for the sweet comment, by the way!